What’s your favorite lunchbox treat? Would you like a new idea; something you could make with your parent on a Sunday afternoon and have it ready to go for Monday.
Here is a new recipe that is fun to make and oh so tasty. You can cook up a big pan of it and have enough for a gazillion lunch treats! Ok, maybe not a gazillion, but a whole bunch for sure!
First things first. Read the whole recipe before you start so you can make sure you have all the ingredients. Next, gather the ingredients and tools. Then get started.
1. Add honey to a saucepan
2. Add brown sugar
3. Add peanut butter or soybutter, whichever floats your boat.
4. Drizzle in a little maple syrup. Please, please, please use REAL maple syrup! Life is too short to use fake stuff.
5. Drizzle in a little olive or canola oil. I like the word, “drizzle”. Try saying it 5 times real fast. Ready, go!
6. Sprinkle cinnamon on top
7. Pour in vanilla. Please, please, please use REAL vanilla! Remember, life is too short to use fake stuff!
8. Stir everything together and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. This part only takes a few minutes. BE CAREFUL not to cook it on high or it will burn and you will want to cry. That would not be fun.
9. Add oatmeal
10. Add bran or brown rice cereal
11. Add cheerios and a dash of salt and stir together. The whole grain cheerios are my favorite. I love all the colors and they are yummy!
12. Spread in a baking pan. A silicone spatula works really well at spreading sticky stuff. But if you don’t have one, that’s okay, just wet your fingers with a little water and spread, spread, spread.
13. Place pan in refrigerator to chill for about 30 minutes. Cut into bars and give yourself a hug for doing such a great job!
Pack these in your next lunch making sure to bring enough to share with your BFF. You’re probably going to get some new BFF’s with this recipe.
Happy Cooking 🙂
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup peanut or soy butter
- 2 Tablespoon real maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- dash cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup brown rice or bran cereal
- 1 cup cheerios, multi-grain
- 1/2 cup nuts, optional
- dash salt
- In a medium saucepan on low heat, combine the first 7 ingredients and simmer for 2-3 minutes while constantly stirring. Once tiny bubbles rise to the surface, it is ready. Remove from heat.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Press into a 9x13 baking dish and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Cut into bars. Pack some in your lunchbox for you and your BFF. Enjoy!