Who doesn’t love soft, fluffy, buttery biscuits? Try this easy recipe and enjoy it with your favorite jam.
Have fun measuring, kneading, rolling, cutting and most importantly…eating your homemade buttermilk biscuits.
- 2 cups flour, all-purpose
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup shortening, well chilled
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, plus 2 tablespoons
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift dry ingredients together. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Add buttermilk and mix just until moistened.
- Turn onto floured surface and knead 3-4 times. Don't over do it or you will have tough biscuits-no so good!
- Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with 2-3-inch biscuit cutter (a glass works too!) and place on baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until lightly golden. Serve with real butter and your favorite jam. (Save one to make an egg sandwich with-yummy!)