Our Winter Cookery session started this week and we are sharing the recipe right here on the handy-dandy kids cooking blog.
Enjoy these while lemons are at their peak!
First you cream the butter, shortening and sugar. Then add the milk.
Next, add the lemon zest and a little juice.
Then add the flour.
Mix well, then drop by teaspoonfuls onto a baking sheet. Bake at 350, 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
While the cookies are baking, mix up a lemony glaze. It’s sweet and sassy…just like you! Haha :0)
For the lemon glaze, squeeze 3-4 Tablespoons of juice into a mixing bowl. Then stir in 1/4-1/2 cup powdered sugar. Mix until all the sugar is dissolved and you end up with a consistency of heavy cream…a little thicker than milk.
Spoon some of the lemony snicket glaze on your cookie. Then clean up any major spills, if that happens. I’m not saying it will…but it might if you try to spoon way too much just because you love the lemony snicket glaze so much. It loves you too.
Then taste your winter treat and see that it is so good. Thumbs up!
Happy Winter Cooking!
Lemon Drop Cookies
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest and juice
- 3-4 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4-1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening and butter until softened and well blended.
- Add sugar, milk, lemon zest , juice and half of the flour. Beat until thoroughly combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Beat or stir in remaining flour.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoons two inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove cookies to cool on wire racks.
- Mix 3-4 T of lemon juice with the powdered sugar until thickened and runny. Spoon glaze on cookies and let it set. Store in an air tight container.