Hi, my name is Annie McLaughlin and I am an intern working with Cook, Learn, Grow helping kids out in the kitchen to works towards food literacy. Nutrition and health is the secret to living a happy and healthy life. In order to take steps towards a healthy lifestyle, we must teach our younger generations (that means YOU! if you are a kid!) on the benefits of health and natural foods.
I am a graduate of the University of Texas and am currently working on my Health Coaching Certificate. I am PASSIONATE about working with kids to understand the importance of cooking and the knowledge of foods. The skills you learn in the kitchen will be something that you will continue to use for the rest of your life!
So far, I have written the Polka Dot Salad post and now the Yummus Hummus, please leave a comment and let me know if you are enjoying. Thanks so much!
Hey guys! Need a quick and easy snack for after school? Yummus Hummus is the perfect snack! This is great, tasty and something anyone will like.
All you need are a few ingredients you can find tucked away in your cabinets.
The ingredients. The printable recipe is below 🙂
First step, you are going to open the can of garbanzo beans and drain the liquid into a cup and set aside. Use a little bit of the liquid before adding the beans to help the smoothing process begin. Add the beans to a blender or food processor and begin to blend or puree until nice and smooth. Puree is similar to blending, only it grinds the food a bit more to make the mixture completely smooth.
Next you are going to add the minced garlic, lemon juice and tahini paste. Keep blending until you have a smooth mixture.
While keeping the machine running at low, slowly add your tablespoons of olive oil until the yummy, smooth and creamy texture is created! Be sure to add slowly because you may not need all of the liquid. If your mixture seems a little dry, you can add in a little more of the juice from the beans to help keep the mixture nice and buttery!
Start to add the cumin and some salt, then blend for a few seconds. Taste it and ask yourself if you need more lemon juice, salt or anything else for the perfect dish. Adjust if you think it needs it until you reach the perfect taste! Grab a carrot, celery or some pita bread.
Serve your fabulous dip with your favorite veggies or pita bread and share with all of your friends!
- 1 cup garbanzo beans (also called chickpeas)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 6 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 Tablespoons tahini paste
- 3-5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt to taste
- Drain chickpeas but keep the liquid. Add a little of the liquid and all of the chickpeas to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Add a little more of the bean liquid to help the blending process if needed.
- Add the garlic, lemon juice and tahini paste and process until smooth.
- With the machine running, slowly add the olive oil and process until smooth and creamy. (you may not need all of the olive oil)
- Add the cumin and a dash of salt; process and taste. Ask yourself, "Self, does it need more salt? more lemon juice?"
- Add more of what you think it needs.
- Serve Yummus Hummus dip with your favorite veggie or pita bread.