How about some Sweetheart Scones for your special sweetheart?! These yummy scones are full of flavor and a quick way to make anyone smile.
To get started, preheat your oven to 400 degrees and grab two mixing bowls.
In one bowl add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Next you are going to add the chilled butter. When you are measuring out the butter, look on the wrapper and see the marks they have to measure out the tablespoons. Cube the butter and add to the mixture. Continue to blend together until the mixture is nice and crumbly.
Once you have the crumbly mixture, add in the dried cranberries and orange or lemon zest.
To zest an orange or lemon, use a microplane, which is a tool with rough sides to scrape along the fruit’s outer skin. You can also use a cheese grater to zest.
Grab the second mixing bowl and crack the eggs into it, beat them together and add the milk. Before adding to the dry mixture, make a hole in the middle of the dry mixture and slowly pour in the wet ingredients. Stir until blended into a doughy mixture.
I like the word, doughy. Don’t you? It’s a happy word 🙂
Sprinkle some flour onto the countertop and then place the dough on it. Knead the dough by pushing into it to flatten it out, folding the top to the bottom and turning. Push, fold, turn. Repeat the process 4 or 5 times: Push, fold, turn. Push, fold turn…
When you are done kneading, flatten out the dough into about 1-inch thickness.
Now the fun part, grab a heart shaped cookie cutter and begin to make the hearts. Then place them onto a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes.
For the yummy icing on top, mix together some cream cheese and strawberry jam. Once mixed together, you can add topping to your scones and share with your special sweetheart!
Whatever you do, please don’t forget the most important ingredient in cooking is LOVE!
Happy Valentine’s Day!
You are loved 🙂
- 2 3/4 cup flour, plus a little more if needed to make dough tacky but not too sticky
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon orange or lemon zest
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4oz cream cheese, softened
- 2-3 tablespoons strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine first four ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter cubes and blend until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in the orange zest and cranberries.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and add the milk. Make a well in the middle of the dry mixture and pour the wet ingredients into it. Stir until blended. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead 4-5 times. Pat dough into 1-inch thickness.
- Cut into heart shapes using a cookie cutter. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 12-15 minutes.
- Place cream cheese into a bowl and stir until soft and creamy. Add jam and mix well.
- Spread some of the cream cheese mixture on top of scone and serve immediately.