Happy New Year!
We are excited about 2014 and all of the yumminess coming your way. While we are busy finishing up plans and recipes, I wanted to share a sweet treat with you. This is a fun afterschool snack to make with your kiddos.
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- Juice from 1 lemon
- premade piecrust or crescent roll dough
- 1/2-3/4 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup raisins or dried cranberries, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel, core and slice the apples into 8 slices each and place into a bowl of water. Squeeze teh lemon juice into the water and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, mix water, 3/4 cup brown sugar, butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook on medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Stir well and set aside.
- Cut pie crust dough into 3-inch by 4-inch rectangles. Lay an apple slice at the bottom of the rectangle. Sprinkle a few raisins and walnuts next to apple. Roll up like a sushi roll. Place seam side down in a baking dish.
- Pour water and brown sugar mixture over dumplings. Bake until crust is golden, usually 25-30 minutes. Spoon the syrup over the dumplings a few times during the baking process.