Did you know October is Popcorn Month? That’s right, it’s Popcorn Month!
To celebrate, some of our cooking students had fun with a new way to enjoy this old favorite.
They cooked up Dill Pickle Popcorn!
They also played Popcorn Math where you estimate how many popped kernels it takes to fill a picture, (we used a scarecrow but any picture will work…draw a pumpkin, a flower, or a gigantic popcorn kernel and estimate away!), and then fill the picture with popped kernels to see how close your estimate is!
And we cooked popcorn crusted mac n’ cheese
and peanut butter popcorn.
Try this easy recipe and let us know how it goes. (We used the stove top method but you can certainly use microwave popcorn.)
1. Add cooking oil to a pot and heat on medium high.
2. Add popcorn kernels.
3. Cover and shake pot every few seconds. (Shaking prevents the kernels from burning.) Once you have popped popcorn, pour it into a mixing bowl.
4. Make the Dill Pickle Seasoning in a measuring cup or small bowl:
a little melted butter
and some dill. We used fresh but dried works fine too.
5. Pour mixture over popcorn and toss well to coat.
There you have it, Dill Pickle Popcorn.
You can enjoy more fun out on the Playground. Look for the popcorn link.
Dill Pickle Popcorn
- 3 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup popcorn kernels
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter
- 3 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons dill, fresh or dried
- Pop popcorn and set aside
- Make seasoning by combining melted butter, vinegar, salt and dill
- Pour over popcorn and toss well. Enjoy!