What does ROYGBP stand for?
Here’s a clue: It lives in the sky, has an arch shape, is very colorful and is a sign of a promise from God to never flood the earth again.
If you guessed a Rainbow- you got it! Congratulations!
Today we are cooking the rainbow:
Do you like strawberries?
What about cherry tomatoes…yellow ones?
blueberries? surely that’s a yes.
spinach? there may be a few uh-uhs for this one. But waaaaaiiiitttt a minute!
Don’t be a spinach hater until you try it in this recipe!
We’re cooking a Farmer’s Market Salad that has all the colors of the rainbow with a salad dressing made of strawberry jam. We added a little balsamic vinegar making it a little more fancy schmancy and called it a vinaigrette (vin-ah-gret).
How you like that?
Don’t answer that just yet. You gotta try it first, then you can answer.
First, put fresh spinach in a big mixing bowl.
Then get your chop-chop on by cutting the strawberries, tomatoes, and carrots into bite size pieces.
Add to the bowl.
Then, add some blueberries.
Then a few sunflower seeds (optional-which means…only if you want to)
Next, add a little balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, strawberry jam, extra virgin olive oil, and salt to a jar. Put the lid on and shake, shake, shake it.
Open jar and taste it. Is it good? Is it too tart? Too sweet? Does it need a little more jam? salt? olive oil? You decide and adjust if you think it needs it.
Drizzle the vinaigrette
over the salad over the rainbow
and eat it!
Let us know if you make it; Happy Kids Cooking!
Farmer's Market Salad
- 2-3 cups fresh spinach
- 8-10 strawberries
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup yellow patio tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, optional
Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon strawberry jam
- 6-18 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- dash salt & pepper
- Place spinach into a large mixing bowl.
- Chop strawberries, carrots, and tomatoes into bite-size pieces. Add to the spinach.
- Add blueberries and sunflower seeds.
- Place all vinaigrette ingredients into a jar, put the lid on and shake till well combined.
- Drizzle over salad, toss well and enjoy! Happy Kids Cooking!