What does ROYGBP stand for?
Here’s a clue: It lives in the sky, has an arch shape, is very colorful and is a sign of a promise from God to never flood the earth again.
If you guessed a Rainbow- you got it! Congratulations!
Today we are cooking the rainbow:
Do you like strawberries?
What about cherry tomatoes…yellow ones?
blueberries? surely that’s a yes.
spinach? there may be a few uh-uhs for this one. But waaaaaiiiitttt a minute!
Don’t be a spinach hater until you try it in this recipe!
We’re cooking a Farmer’s Market Salad that has all the colors of the rainbow with a salad dressing made of strawberry jam. We added a little balsamic vinegar making it a little more fancy schmancy and called it a vinaigrette (vin-ah-gret).
How you like that?
Don’t answer that just yet. You gotta try it first, then you can answer.
First, put fresh spinach in a big mixing bowl.
Then get your chop-chop on by cutting the strawberries, tomatoes, and carrots into bite size pieces.
Add to the bowl.
Then, add some blueberries.
Then a few sunflower seeds (optional-which means…only if you want to)
Next, add a little balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, strawberry jam, extra virgin olive oil, and salt to a jar. Put the lid on and shake, shake, shake it.
Open jar and taste it. Is it good? Is it too tart? Too sweet? Does it need a little more jam? salt? olive oil? You decide and adjust if you think it needs it.
Drizzle the vinaigrette
over the salad over the rainbow 🙂
and eat it!
Let us know if you make it; Happy Kids Cooking!
Farmer's Market Salad
- 2-3 cups fresh spinach
- 8-10 strawberries
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup yellow patio tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, optional
Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon strawberry jam
- 6-18 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- dash salt & pepper
- Place spinach into a large mixing bowl.
- Chop strawberries, carrots, and tomatoes into bite-size pieces. Add to the spinach.
- Add blueberries and sunflower seeds.
- Place all vinaigrette ingredients into a jar, put the lid on and shake till well combined.
- Drizzle over salad, toss well and enjoy! Happy Kids Cooking!