Know how much Mom loves you?
Love her back with Lavender Strawberry Shortcake.
There are 3 parts to this classic and lovely treat:
Lavender Whipped Cream
Start the cream, then work on the strawberries, next make the shortbread. Then, whip the cream and put it all together. Mom is so worth this!
Bring some heavy cream just to a boil. Add some lavender buds, remove from heat, put a lid on it and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
Slice up some strawberries and place them in a bowl. Sprinkle sugar and set it aside while you make the shortbread.
Mix all the dry ingredients together: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt
Cut a stick of cold butter into small pieces and add to the dry ingredients.
Use your hands to mix the butter into the dry ingredients. Get all the butter pieces smooshed into the flour; this is called “cutting in the butter”
It should look like bread crumbs when you are done. Make sure there are no big pieces of butter left.
Add 2 eggs and mix together.
Knead the dough, 5 or 6 times on a lightly floured surface…just till it all comes together.
Spray a cake pan (I always use a round 8-inch pan) with nonstick cooking spray and then press dough into pan. Bake for about 20 minutes at 350.
Pour the lavender cream through a strainer into a clean bowl or liquid measuring cup. Then chill it.
I put mine in a container of ice water…this works faster than putting it into the fridge.
Check the shortbread and clean up any spills that may be hanging around. Take your shortbread out and let it cool.
Pour the chilled lavender cream into a mixing bowl, add some powdered sugar and whisk away.
Whip it good! Like this.
Find a pretty bowl or your mom’s favorite dish and get ready to put it together.
Crumble some of the shortbread into the bottom of the dish. Then drizzle some of the strawberry juice all over it.
Add strawberries and some lavender whipped cream. You can stop there or repeat the layers and end up with this:
You could also make a smaller version…
Use a cookie cutter or a small glass and cut out a circle. Then place it in a small dish.
Drizzle some of the strawberry juice and add with strawberries.
Top with lavender whipped cream and a slice of strawberry.
Add a few lavender buds and there you have it: Lavender Strawberry Shortcake!
You may just end up being the favorite child of the day. 🙂
Happy Mother’s Day to all Mothers. May you be blessed with an abundance of good things, including a kid who cooks!
Lavender Strawberry Shortcake
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tablespoon lavender buds
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cold butter, cut into cubes
- 2 large eggs
- Bring cream just to a boil, add lavender and remove from heat. Cover with a lid and let steep for 15-20 minutes. Strain and chill. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice strawberries and sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar. Set aside.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add butter and mix with hands until it looks like bread crumbs and no butter pieces are visible.
- Add eggs and mix well. Knead dough 5-6 times on a lightly floured surface. Press into a 8-inch round cake pan and bake 20-25 minutes until lightly golden brown. Remove and let cool.
- In a chilled mixing bowl, whisk chilled lavender cream until thick and firm.
- Assemble as desired.