Have I got a treat for you! Today we are doing our first Book Cook!
We’re reading “Love That Dog” by Sharon Creech which is a story about a boy and his dog. And brownies. We’ll get to that part in a minute. 🙂
I love dogs and stories about dogs. But especially this story. Jack has an assignment to write a poem. He says boys don’t write poems. Girls do.
Eventually, he tries and tries and tries, and ends up writing about his yellow dog, Sky.
Like birds love to fly, he loves that dog, that yellow dog Sky.
One day, Jack’s teacher makes brownies to cheer everyone up. When I used to read this book with my students, I always made brownies and brought them to class the last day of the book…to cheer everyone up.
I thought it would be fun for you to read the book and then meet me back here for a little book talk and brownie eating.
If you want to join us, read the book, and then meet us back here on www.cooklearngrow.com on Sunday, June 3rd at 7pm for our “Love That Dog” Brownies & Book Talk.
Be sure to make these brownies early Sunday so you can enjoy a treat while we meet!
Here’s how to make the brownies; they were inspired by Emeril Lagasse:
Melt butter and unsweetened chocolate.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a 9×13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Stir it until it’s smooth and then add some sugar to it.
Whisk that together.
Add 1/3 of the flour,
and then one of the eggs.
Mix it till smooth and repeat 2 more times…flour, egg, then mix it up.
Add chopped nuts and a little vanilla.
Mix it really good…doesn’t that look like a super good brownie batter?
Spread it into a baking pan.
Bake for about 25-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
While your brownies are baking,
heat up the heavy cream and pour over the chocolate chips.
Let it set for 3-5 minutes,
then whisk it until smooth and creamy.
Check the brownies.
Once they are out of the oven,
use the handle of a wooden spoon and poke several holes in the brownies.
(here comes my favorite part)
Spread the creamy chocolate over the brownies.
Think about Sky.
Put on a smile and cheer up!
You did this for Sky 🙂
Pokey Brownies Inspired by Emeril Lagasse
- 3, 1-ounce squares unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon + 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter and unsweetened chocolate squares, stirring till smooth. Add sugar and mix well.
- Add 1/3 of the flour and 1 egg at a time, stirring well after each addition. Repeat until all flour and eggs have been mixed in.
- Add nuts and vanilla and mix well. Pour into prepared baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Heat heavy whipping cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate chips and let set for 3-5 minutes. Whisk till smooth and creamy.
- Poke holes in the warm brownies and pour creamy chocolate over them. Let cool and cut into squares. If you've read the book, Love That Dog, think about Sky and smile. Happy Cooking! 🙂