December is full of wonderful celebrations that include yummy food.
Hanukkah is one of those celebrations.
At Hanukkah, Jewish people eat food fried in oil to remind them of the Miracle of the Oil Lamp. Potato latkes, (also known as potato pancakes) are very popular to eat during this celebration. If you like hashbrowns, you will love latkes!
Latkes are made with
3 cups of shredded potatoes
3 Tablespoons of all purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 teaspoon salt (large pinch)
shape into small round shapes (like a tiny pancake)
ask an adult to fry them in a skillet with hot vegetable oil
cook until brown, then flip and let other side brown…usually 3-5 minutes total
The recipe is below. Happy Cooking!
Hanukkah Potato Latkes
- 3 cups shredded potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil for frying
- sour cream or applesauce for topping
- 1. mix shredded potatoes, eggs, flour, onions and salt.
- 2. shape into small round shapes (like a tiny pancake)
- 3. ask an adult to fry in hot oil.
- 4. drain on paper towels
- 5. top with sour cream or applesauce