Eat yourself thin
It’s all about choices and metabolism. The secret is what, how much and how often we feed our metabolism.
Secret #1: eat often (the how often part)
Eat every 4-5 hours…start grazing small portions of proteins, complex carbohydrates and fresh yummy veggies. NEVER SKIP BREAKFAST!! The more you feed your metabolism, the more fat it burns. (no big secret, just thought I mention that sugar brings our metabolism to a screeching halt!)
Secret #2: eat real food (the what part)
- No fake butters: use real unsalted -get a butter crock and leave your real, healthy butter on the counter for true spreadability…just like our grandmothers did!
- Run as fast as you can from processed food (stuff in a box or plastic)- it’s toxic and there’s no way to be healthy with fake food. Period.
- Buy Fresh, live fruits & veggies preferably from a local farmer’s market to get full nutrients & ripening benefits.
- Use extra virgin olive oil on salads and as a finishing touch on anything.
- Eat greek yogurt
- Eat almonds
- Drink water
- Eat cold water fish
- Eat pasture raised chicken and eggs
Secret #3: eat the rainbow (more of the what part)
Eat the colors of the rainbow every day for variety, nutrients and vitamins.
- Proteins-fish, chicken, turkey, beef, tuna, egg whites
- Complex carbohydrates-any carb that’s not processed: rice, potatoes quinoa, oats, barley, cous cous, etc.
- Vegetables-any kind, but the green leafy ones have the most antioxidants & health benefits.
- Fruit-any fruit is better than no fruit but try to stick to dark choices like blueberries, grapes, strawberries, blackberries, kiwi, cherries, etc.
- Water-lots of it. Sodas, fruit drinks are loaded with sugar and chemicals. Carbonation makes us swell.
- Caffeine & Alcohol-love it, but in moderation. Try not to have caffeine after 3or 4pm. The tannins in red wine are great antioxidants but be aware that wine is actually a stimulant and can cause restless nights.
Secret #4: Eat smaller portions. (the how much part)
There are so many obvious reasons but to stay with the grazing idea, small portions are key to eating up to 5 times a day and remember: that’s the secret to a happy metabolism. J
Food for thought: Planning is the key to success.
Try this: boil & cool a dozen eggs before you go to bed or while your getting dressed. Then you have 4 servings of protein on the ready. For those times when you need a grab and go meal, toss a banana or apple and 3 boiled eggs in your bag and hit the trail. (For added help, toss the yolks and eat only the whites)
Keep fresh blueberries and blackberries in your fridge when their in season…you can buy extra and freeze them too!